Monday, March 31, 2003

8816 Off-Road Rambler

I don't own this set, I just built it from the instructions with existing parts.

A pretty nice jeep I must say. I would have liked it if I was a kid. As an adult fan of LEGO it would do nice as a shelf model. It's not a challenge to build it but it contains some nice pieces. Functionality is limited to individual suspension on the back wheels and steering (on the front ditto, of course).

I still have to build the second model in the instruction.

Year 1994, 184 pieces

Alternations

I had to make a replacement of a special part and also use some different colors on six other parts.

Original piece

Alternative piece

2 gray 3894: Technic Brick 1 x 6 with Holes 2 white 3894: Technic Brick 1 x 6 with Holes
2 gray 3676: Slope Brick 45 2 x 2 Inverted Double Convex 2 black 3676: Slope Brick 45 2 x 2 Inverted Double Convex
2 yellow 2444: Plate 2 x 2 with Hole 2 black 2444: Plate 2 x 2 with Hole
1 black 2989 Bumper Holder 1 x 4 (I think this is the one) See it on Technica here. 1 black 3701: Technic Brick 1 x 4 with Holes


Dual suspension.




Non-standard white swingarms.





Great pieces

Shocks, not that I actually used them in anything I ever built on my own but they are cool :)
Wheels. The smallest balloon tire in the Technic line with yellow hubs, yummy!
Lot's of gray 1 x 6 beams. 10 pieces in that little jeep! I only had eight so they must be pretty rare.

Links

Building instruction on Brickshelf
Inventory on Peeron
Set reference on Lugnet
Jim Hughes Technica

No comments: