Friday, March 3, 2000

HelloWorldBot

This was to be a robot that could type "Hello World" on a keyboard.

I realized that I had not typed "Hello World" on the screen using NQC and I figured this was the way to do it.

The project never got finished but someday it might.

Here's a video of the bot initializing, it's as far as I got with it.





I built a rail for the thing to move on. It has an arm with two joints and a light sensor in the back for position tracking. The two joints are equipped with two touch sensors that tell the bot it has folded the joint to it's max. I used these during initialization and I figured I could use timing to move the joint in the right amount as soon as I knew it were where I wanted it to be.




This is the position tracking system. I figured the bot should count the black and gray 1x2 plates as it moved down. The white 2x2 is to tell the robot it's at the beginning of the rail. During initialization it stops at this point.




This is a close up on the drive train. The yellow hubs are there to support the bot against the side of the rail.




This is one of the joint's If you look close next to the medium pulley you can spot one of the touch sensors.




Here is the other joint as well as the motor used to drive the bot side ways. The large z40 gear is positioned directly above the rail.




Joint number two again, this time shot from the other side.

No comments: